UW Denny Hall Renovation
Completed 2008 - 2011; 2014 - 2015
Size: 46,000 square feet
Denny Hall was built in 1895 and was the first building constructed on the current University of Washington campus. Peter Meijer Architect, PC (PMA) conducted a full exterior envelope assessment and full window survey on this historically significant building in anticipation for renovation.
The assessment included terra-cotta and masonry attachment investigation, decorative iron work assessment and mortar petrographic examination. The window survey of the multi-paned steel sashes, the installation of which occurred during a campus-wide 1950 upgrade, provided information allowing the University and design team to retain the character defining features.
Additionally, PMA guided the design team on repair of the existing sandstone entry stairs and provided information on the “hidden” header course, which was a key factor in reducing the need and expense for further seismic anchors.